In order for you to have a successful painting project, it is important that you have an understanding on the different types of paint in order for you to choose the right one. There are two basic types of paint; the water-based and oil-based. Both has its share of advantages and disadvantages but basically what sets them apart is that water-based paints dry easily and they are easier to work with. They are also available in more colour options and water-based paints come with matte finish. On the other hand, oil-based paints take longer to dry but you can rely on their durability as they wear longer. One feature of oil-based paints is they come with glossy finish.
Water-based paints are ideal for exteriors and also on interiors that receives moisture or wetness such as kitchen and bathroom. Oil-based paints are not recommended for exterior uses because it has lower UV resistance and is vulnerable to cracking. They are suitable for areas you wish to highlight such as windows, doors, trims, architraves, skirting and other decorative features. Oil-based paints are also more resistant to scrapes and scuffs.
To get better understanding on the different types of paint, here are the advantages of the two.
- Surfaces with water based-paints can easily be cleaned with water
- Emits lower fumes and odour with lower VOC levels
- More colours to choose from
- Less glossy
- Higher resistance to cracking
- Can only take 30 minutes to dry
- Lower risk of yellowing
- Higher UV resistance
- Durable even in damp or moist environments
- Requires turps for clean ups
- With stronger fumes and odour including VOC levels
- Lesser colour variety
- Better and smoother finish with less visible brush mark
- Glossy finish
- Can take up to 8 hours to dry
- Higher vulnerability to cracking
- Prone to yellowing
- Higher resistance to wear
- Lower resistance to UV
Understanding the different types of paint is important for you to know which type of paint will be used on a specific application. For more information, you can consult an interior designer or a service provider for home or office painting job in your area.